Hamburger – America’s favorite food consisting of a beef patty, lettuce, cheese, onion, and tomato placed inside a sliced of bread. The beef patty is made of ground beef seasoned with salt and pepper then grilled in an open fire or pan fried. Its origin is not clear due to many version of its history; one story says that in 1800’s, A European emigrant reached America on the ship of the Hamburg Lines and was served with meat patties quickly grilled and placed between two slices of bread. But due to its popularity it quickly spread all over the world, and today there are many version of hamburger that you can find anywhere in the world.
This recipe will teach you how to make a classic burger with caramelized onion and garlic aioli.
- 4 Burger Buns
- 2 Tomatoes
- 4 Cheese Slices
- 4 Lettuce leaf
- ¼ cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1 lb. 80/20 Ground Beef 80% lean 20% fat
- 2 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp. Paprika
- 3 tbsp. BBQ Sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 - Large Onion
- ½ tsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 whole Garlic
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Mustard
- ½ tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp - Grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
In a bowl mix the ground beef, black pepper, garlic and onion powder, paprika, bbq sauce, and egg. Divide the seasoned ground beef into 150g, shape the patty onto a ball then using your hand flatten it, make a small dimple on the center then chill it for 20 min.
Cut the top of the whole garlic, sprinkle salt pepper and oil on top then bake it in 300°F, then squeeze out the garlic flesh. Make a garlic aioli by food processing the garlic flesh, mayonnaise, black pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan and lemon juice, season it with salt.
Make a caramelized onion by chopping a whole onion into rings, saute it in a pan on medium heat, once it starts to caramelize add sugar then continue to saute until the onion turn brown.
Heat your griddle on medium-high heat, Take patty out of the fridge sprinkle salt all over it, then grill for 10 min on each side. Toast the bun together with the patty. Remove the patty from the griddle then set aside for a while.
Slice the tomato and wash your lettuce leaf, pat dry the lettuce. Take the bottom side of the bun, spread garlic aioli on it then put the patty on top, add cheese slice on top of it then lay over the lettuce leaf and sliced tomato, add a small amount of caramelized onion then squeeze ketchup on top. Cover the burger with the top part of the bun.
Griddle or a Large Frying Pan
Step 1: Prepare all Tools & Ingredients
- The first item you need is the ground beef that is 80/20 which means 80% lean meat and 20% fat, ask your local butcher for the freshest ground beef they have. Next is the bun the size of your patty depends on the bun if you want a large burger, ask your local bakery for there large buns, your bun may or may not have sesame seeds on them it doesn’t change the taste afterall, but a bun with sesame has a nice texture when chewing though.
- To flavor your patty, you will need onion and garlic powder, paprika, bbq sauce and an egg to keep the patty in shape. For making a caramelized onion you will only need a large onion, brown sugar and oil for cooking. For making the garlic aioli, you will need whole garlic, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan. Lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- To build your burger, you will need cheese slices that are ready to use, lettuce leaf, tomatoes, and ketchup.
Step 2: Flavor your Patty
- To make the patty take a large bowl, mix the ground beef, black pepper, garlic and onion powder, paprika, bbq sauce, and egg. Hold the salt for a while cause this will absorb moisture and will make your patty dry when grilling.
- Mix well the ingredients in the bowl then take a 150g of seasoned ground beef, form it into a ball and flatten it using your hand put a dimple at the center of the patty, this will hold the patty stay flat when grilling.
- Place your patties in a baking sheet then chill it on a fridge for 20 min so that your patty is cold when grilling, this is essential cause when grilling the patty cold, not all of the moisture will fall out from it. It’s nice to have a patty that is slightly moisture.
Step 3: Make Garlic Aioli
- Garlic aioli is a garlic flavored egg yolk and oil based sauce. Basically, it’s a garlic-flavored mayonnaise, it a perfect spread for sandwich especially burgers.
- Pre-heat your oven at 300°F. Take whole garlic, cut the top off then sprinkle on top the salt, pepper, and olive oil baked the garlic in the oven over 300°F for 15 min. After that Remove the garlic from the oven let it cool for a while then squeeze out the garlic flesh, it should come out easily like a paste.
- In your food processor add mayonnaise, the baked garlic flesh, black pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan, and lemon juice. Food processor it for 5 min or until all ingredients is well mixed. Season it with salt then transfer it to a small container.
Step 4: Make a Caramelized Onion
- Cut the onion into rings, heat your pan on medium heat and add oil, saute your onion rings until it’s starting to caramelize, combine brown sugar then continue to saute until the sugar melts and the onion turn caramel brown color. Remove from the pan, set aside for a while.
Step 5: Grill and Build your Hamburger
- Heat your griddle over 400°F or if you’re using a pan heat your pan on medium-high heat. Sprinkle salt all over the patty before you start grilling it. Grill the patty for 10 min on each side, make sure that you cook your patty through the center to avoid an upset stomach, eating a raw ground beef may carry harmful bacteria, so make sure that you cook the patty well.
- While grilling your patty, you may toast your buns as well.
- After you cook the beef patty and toast the buns, prepare the toppings of the burger, slice a tomato into thin slices, wash your lettuce leaf and pat dry it with a paper towel.
- Take the bottom part of the bun, spread garlic aioli over it, then lay the patty on top of it, put a slice of cheese on top of the patty. Lay the lettuce leaf, and tomato slice on top of the cheese spread a little amount of caramelized onion then squeeze ketchup on top of it. Cover the burger with the top part of the bun.
- Serve it with a baked potato wedges to fully enjoy America’s favorite Hamburger.