Baked apples are a great October treat. Apple fritters on the other hand are something else. A decedent afternoon treat on an Autumn day complete with a cup of tea. Instead of a traditional fried apple fritter I am making baked fritters. Baked and not fried, that’s right! These are healthier and, in my opinion, far tastier! A fabulous treat you can whip up in moments to satisfy your sweet tooth.
I like to keep my recipes quite simple, mainly to save time, but I love quick recipes that don’t require you to slave away in the kitchen for hours. Fuss free food!
I’m using golden Delicious apples for their sweeter taste but feel free to experiment with whatever you fancy, there’s no rules, and let me know what you think!
These baked apple fritters are just like mini muffins, but with less ingredients.
Apple Fritters Recipe
- ¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 and a ½ Cups of Plain Flour
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tspns Baking Powder
- ¼ tspn of Cinnamon
- ¼ tspn Nutmeg
- ¼ tspn Ginger
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- ½ cup of soya milk or any type of milk
- 2 apples diced. Golden Delicious but feel free to experiment with other types of apples!
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Melt the butter and beat it with the sugar.
- Add the egg, the vanilla and the soya milk and combine.
- In a separate bowl mix in the dry ingredients – so the flour, the spices and the baking powder.
- Mix in the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the apples and ensure there are no lumps of batter.
- Grease a 12 tin muffin tray and spoon in the mixture.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve. (They are at their best warm!)
These fritters are best enjoyed freshly baked but leftovers can be kept in the fridge.
1. Measure out the wet ingredients.
The first part of this recipe is to make the batter mix. Measure out the sugar and the butter – after melting or softening first – and mix. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract and slowly add in the soya milk. ( I use soya as I can’t have milk but think it is a good substitute as it gives a subtle creamy taste.
2. Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients. So mix the plain flour, the spices and the baking powder.
Next, chop the apple into small cubes and fold into the batter mixture.
3. Preheat the oven and spoon mixture into tin.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and spoon in the mixture into a greased muffin tin. Bake in the oven for about 15-17 minutes. I used our new fan oven – this recipe was the first ever bake!) but other ovens may differ on time. The mixture is cooked when a knife comes out clean when testing or the tops of the fritters are golden brown.
Remove the fritters from the mini muffin tray and leave to cool for 5 minutes before finishing off.
4. Sprinkle with Icing Sugar and serve.
Sprinkle with a dusting of icing sugar and serve. I have served with a simple caramel sauce poured or dipped over it’s a decadent addition if you have a sweet tooth. Hot or cold these delicious baked apple fritters are a great tasty snack. Once you eat one you’re guaranteed to keep going back for more!