The heart-shaped fruit falls under the category of the most refreshing as well as healthy treats. Strawberries are packed with all types of health benefits. And why wouldn’t they be when there are at least 600 different varieties of the juicy fruit.
When it comes to berries, especially strawberries, you should know that they have a high antioxidant level. The more the consumption, the less the chances of developing diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. (1)
And not just that; the benefits of strawberries also extend to hair and skin care, weight loss, energy boost, etc. So let’s discuss the 15 amazing health benefits of strawberries, according to science. Because it’s important for you to know why you need to increase the intake of this juicy, summery fruit.
- 1. Strawberries Contain Quercetin that Reduces the Chances of Cardiovascular Problems
- 2. The Reduced Glycemic Index of Strawberries Lowers Diabetic Complications
- 3. Folate Compound Present in Strawberries Helps in Fighting Depression
- 4. Strawberries have an Increased Fiber Content that Prevents Constipation
- 5. Strawberries Contain Ellagic Acid that Decreases the Growth of Cancer Cells
- 6. The Fruit’s High Count of Vitamin C Provides Protection against Vision Loss in Old Age
- 7. The Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Strawberries Help in Eliminating Arthritis
- 8. Vitamin C Found in Strawberries also Prevents/Repairs Skin Damage
- 9. The Flavonoids of Strawberries Protect the Brain against Neurodegenerative Diseases
- 10. Folic Acid Present in Strawberries is Crucial for Healthy Pregnancy
- 11. Strawberries Contain Quercetin that Helps in Fighting Allergies
- 12. Vitamin C of Strawberries Boosts the Production of Collagen for Healthier Skin
- 13. The Nitrate Compound of Strawberries Promotes Weight Loss
- 8 Delicious Strawberry Recipes
- 1. Strawberry Spinach Chicken Salad Topped with Ginger Lime
- 2. Strawberry Macadamia Rice Pudding
- 3. Balsamic Strawberry Shortcake
- 4. Strawberry Trifle with Lemon Curd
- 5. Strawberry Bread with Cream Cheese
- 6. Strawberry Muffins
- 7. Strawberry Avocado Salad with Chicken Salsa
- 8. Strawberry Tiramisu White Chocolate Cake
- The Final Note
1. Strawberries Contain Quercetin that Reduces the Chances of Cardiovascular Problems
Heart conditions arise due to blood clots, diseased vessels, and structural problems. In simple words, cardiovascular diseases are related to the blood vessels affecting the heart.
Quercetin is a flavonoid with a naturally rich anti-inflammatory character. Flavonoids are natural chemicals found in certain vegetables and fruits with powerful anti-inflammatory properties. They also provide immune system protection. (2)
The thing about quercetin is that it helps in decreasing the chances of atherosclerosis. The condition causes disruption in blood circulation, leading to severe cardiovascular problems. (3)
Quercetin also goes a long way in protecting the heart from low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL). So the daily intake of strawberries can help your heart in more ways than you can imagine.
Key Takeaway: Strawberries have a high content of quercetin, which produces anti-inflammatory effects. And these effects contribute to enhancing the health of the heart by improving blood circulation and reducing bad cholesterol.
2. The Reduced Glycemic Index of Strawberries Lowers Diabetic Complications
People suffering from diabetes have a high blood sugar level. This is a result of either the body’s inability to respond to insulin or poor insulin production (and sometimes both).
Strawberries are among the fruits that have a decreased glycemic index and increased fiber level. Such a combination helps in regulating blood sugar. It also contributes to maintaining blood glucose level by preventing extreme lows and highs. (4)
Consuming strawberries is one of the best and most efficient ways of dealing with diabetes naturally. Having as many as 37-40 strawberries daily can drastically minimize diabetic complications.
These complications include both the brain and kidney. So the flavonoid fisetin present in strawberries is responsible for promoting neuron survival and enhancing memory. And such characteristics help in the prevention of brain and kidney complications. (5)
Key Takeaway: Consuming strawberries is not only safe but also recommended for diabetes. They perform the job of treating high levels of blood pressure. Reduced blood sugar content in the body is essential for keeping the condition in check. And strawberries help in achieving that.
3. Folate Compound Present in Strawberries Helps in Fighting Depression
The most common signs of depression include anxiety, lost interest, fatigue, loss of appetite and weight, and mood swings. These signals should be taken seriously if they occur on a daily basis.
Dealing with depression can be extremely challenging. So it’s important to do whatever it takes in order to feel better. And incorporating strawberries into your daily diet can prove to be highly beneficial.
The juicy fruit contains folate, which prevents the formation of homocysteine. Homocysteine is responsible for keeping the nutrients and blood away from the brain.
In fact, a large amount of homocysteine tends to decrease the production of “happy hormones.” These include dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. All the three hormones perform the task of regulating your mood, appetite, and sleep. (6)
Key Takeaway: Our brain needs to receive sufficient amounts of dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin to keep depression at bay. And strawberries are equipped with a compound that enables the body to produce these hormones and deliver them to the brain.
4. Strawberries have an Increased Fiber Content that Prevents Constipation
Constipation is not a serious condition but it can cause a lot of irritation and discomfort. Two primary causes of constipation are dehydration and irregular bowel movements.
In such cases, your body needs the high content of fiber present in berries, especially strawberries. A strawberry doesn’t only contain high fiber level in the juicy body but also in the tiny seeds. And what this does is provide sufficient hydration to the body. Thanks to the porous quality of the fruit.
Women can consume as much as 21g (minimum 7 cups of sliced strawberries) of fiber and men 30g (minimum 10 cups). This ensures that the body along with the feces in your digestive tract is optimally hydrated. (7)
Key Takeaway: The high content of fiber stored in strawberries contributes to keeping the body hydrated. This helps in encouraging proper and frequent bowel movements. And we all know how beneficial that is when it comes to fighting constipation.
5. Strawberries Contain Ellagic Acid that Decreases the Growth of Cancer Cells
The thing about cancer cells is that they grow and then divide. This pushes them further away from normalcy. And with time, the cells become more and more resistant to maintaining healthy tissue. (8)
It’s this multiplication and division of cancer cells that strawberries help in reducing. The heart-shaped juicy delight has high antioxidant properties. This includes ellagic acid, which contributes to deactivating certain carcinogens. As a result of which, the cancer cell reproduction process decreases to a great extent. (9)
Strawberry is a fruit that may look tiny but is packed with many such life-saving benefits. So you should make it a point to consume the fruit on a daily basis. It can help in reducing the growth of life-threatening conditions.
Key Takeaway: Reducing the growth of cancer cells goes a long way in keeping the disease under the radar. And strawberries are one of those fruits equipped with rich antioxidant properties. These come in the form of ellagic acid, which slows down the formation of cancer cells.
6. The Fruit’s High Count of Vitamin C Provides Protection against Vision Loss in Old Age
Loss of eyesight is a common problem faced by older adults. And it is primarily caused due to macular degeneration.
To decrease the chances of macular degeneration, one needs to incorporate more Vitamin C in his or her daily diet. And the most delicious way of doing so is by consuming at least 3-4 servings of sliced strawberries.
The fruit contains a high Vitamin C content. Orange is also another fruit that offers the same nutrient. But strawberries are tastier than oranges, aren’t they?
So the abundant Vitamin C present in strawberries has the ability to lower the chances of macular degeneration. In fact, it does so by at least 36 percent. This way the risk of experiencing vision loss also gets reduced. (10,11)
Key Takeaway: Strawberries fall under the category of the fruits with a rich, high Vitamin C level. This nutrient is essential in keeping macular degeneration away by as much as 36 percent in older people. Since vision loss is caused by macular degeneration, it’s highly advisable to consume 3-4 portions of strawberries daily.
7. The Anti-Inflammatory Properties of Strawberries Help in Eliminating Arthritis
When tissues and muscles degenerate and acids and other toxic substances accumulate, it means you have arthritis or gout. The conditions are considered to be extremely uncomfortable.
Strawberry is a fruit armed with several detoxifying agents and antioxidants. Such compounds are responsible for preventing the formation of inflammatory conditions like gout and arthritis.
These elements present in strawberries contribute to relieving inflammation and pain caused by the free radicals accompanied by arthritis.
A recent research pointed out that people who consumed at least 16 strawberries every week showed a lower level of inflammation. This group also had comparatively lower C-reactive protein (CRP) in the blood. An increased CRP content means high inflammation. (12)
Key Takeaway: The highly valuable antioxidant and detoxifying capacity of strawberries can help the body in several ways. The strong anti-inflammatory ability of the fruit helps in easing inflammation associated with arthritis. This will not only provide relief, but also prevent the condition from getting worse.
8. Vitamin C Found in Strawberries also Prevents/Repairs Skin Damage
Our skin is constantly subjected to sun exposure, environmental toxins, and poor diet. These factors contribute to skin damage over a period of time.
Vegetables and fruits with a high antioxidant level are considered to be extremely beneficial for the skin. Especially berries like strawberries contain abundant Vitamin C and Vitamin A antioxidants.
These nutrients do the job of providing hydration, encouraging sebum production, and reducing wrinkles as well as discoloration.
In simple words, regular intake of strawberries can help improve the condition of your skin. It can even repair skin damage caused by the factors mentioned above. (13)
Key Takeaway: Skin disorders require you to consume nutrient-rich fruits like strawberries. Because such conditions along with skin damage can only be corrected with the help of Vitamin C. So a bowlful of sliced strawberries will provide tons of Vitamin C as well as Vitamin A to improve skin properties.
9. The Flavonoids of Strawberries Protect the Brain against Neurodegenerative Diseases
Neurodegenerative diseases are related to the brain’s cognitive decline. To put it simply, they are caused due to the poor functioning of neurons. And this only happens as you get older.
Berries have been found to protect the brain from aging. Strawberries in particular contain a high level of flavonoids. These compounds carry out the task of improving cognition. And they do so by slowing down the process of cognitive decline. (14)
The more strawberries you have, the less the oxidation damage caused in the brain as you age. The most surprising part is that strawberries also prevent brain inflammation, memory loss, and conditions such as dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Key Takeaway: Aging is a part of life. But the problems associated with it aren’t. Especially when they can be controlled. In this case, the brain’s cognitive decline can be reduced drastically by the daily consumption of strawberries. Thanks to the rich flavonoid content present in the fruit that performs the job in the most natural manner.
10. Folic Acid Present in Strawberries is Crucial for Healthy Pregnancy
The importance and effects of a healthy diet during pregnancy need to be understood for the benefit of the mother and the unborn child. To ensure that you’re on the right track, you must incorporate healthy and safe foods into your daily diet. (15)
And these include strawberries. Do you know why? It’s because the heart-shaped treat contains folic acid. What folic acid does is provide several health benefits. The first being preventing birth defects such as spina bifida. It also assists the body in developing new, healthy cells.
Folate or folic acid has been found to lower the risk of premature deliveries. Do you know the reason why pregnant women are advised to consume cereals? It’s because cereals have a high content of folic acid. (16)
Key Takeaway: Many pregnant women don’t meet their daily food requirements. So making up for it by adding a few strawberry recipes into the diet can keep both the mother and the baby healthy. The folic acid content stored in strawberries prevents premature birth, encourages new cell production, and eliminates birth defects.
11. Strawberries Contain Quercetin that Helps in Fighting Allergies
The most common allergies are related to food, animals, drugs, and asthma. You should know that out of five people at least one suffers from a certain type of allergy.
Since the condition is so common, it’s better to know how to deal with it, right? And strawberries are the way to go. Do you know why? It’s because they have a powerful anti-inflammatory compound known as quercetin.
What it does is help in alleviating the symptoms associated with allergies. These symptoms include running nose, hives, and watery eyes.
Making strawberries a part of your daily diet can also help people suffering from asthma. Because the condition requires you to increase the intake of nutrients such as Vitamin C. And strawberries have tons of that to offer. (17)
Key Takeaway: Allergies is an everyday occurrence for one out of five people on the planet. And the most natural way of fighting them is by consuming strawberries on a regular basis. The flavonoid quercetin found in the fruit does the job of eliminating the symptoms of certain types of allergies.
12. Vitamin C of Strawberries Boosts the Production of Collagen for Healthier Skin
Collagen is a protein located in the connective tissues, walls of the blood vessels, and the skin. Nutrients such as Vitamin C are responsible for the collagen formation in the human body.
Strawberries contain a large amount of Vitamin C. It’s greater than even some of the best citrus fruits. A single serving of strawberries delivers over 150 percent of Vitamin C. Even oranges don’t offer such an increased level of the nutrient per serving.
This means more collagen in the body. Collagen performs the function of supporting the skin’s underlying structure. This contributes to keeping the skin in good shape from the inside out.
Another fun fact about collagen is that it also helps in strengthening the bones. And as far as skin is concerned, there are only a few fruits like strawberries that assist in retaining its elasticity. (18)
Key Takeaway: Vitamin C is a nutrient essential for improving the condition of the skin. It enhances the formation of collagen, which keeps the skin healthy underneath and on the surface. Consuming 100 percent of Vitamin C daily is necessary for sufficient collagen production. And a single serving of strawberries offers over 150 percent of the rich nutrient.
13. The Nitrate Compound of Strawberries Promotes Weight Loss
Weight loss is a process that involves the addition of anti-inflammatory compounds and antioxidants into the daily diet. They contain sufficient fiber content essential for boosting digestion.
So to promote weight loss, you can easily consume strawberries with yogurt, oatmeal, or cereal in the morning. The juicy fruit contains leptin and adiponectin. These are fat-reducing as well as metabolic hormones.
On top of that, the enzymes present in strawberries have anti-inflammatory properties. These factors help in dealing with internal injuries and tissue damage. Do you know what this means? It means that you can exercise as hard as you want to achieve your weight loss goals.
Key Takeaway: Strawberries have a high compound nitrate level. And this goes a long way in promoting healthy blood circulation. It also increases the level of oxygen in the body. These two activities make the process of weight loss easier.
8 Delicious Strawberry Recipes
The most favorite berry is widely popular for adding a sweet touch to several delectable dishes. Strawberries are packed with many nutrients that protect the heart. And the best part about them is that they provide 3g of fiber every single serving. So a minimum of 7-10 cups can give your body the fiber it needs on a daily basis. What fiber does is prevent constipation, boost digestion, and regulate blood sugar.
Strawberry shortcakes and strawberry milkshakes are the most common recipes of the heart-shaped, juicy fruit. But there are some other options that you might have not even thought of that will satisfy your taste buds. So let’s learn how to use strawberries to create these different types of dishes.
1. Strawberry Spinach Chicken Salad Topped with Ginger Lime
The healthy fruit and veggie combination with chicken doesn’t only look attractive but tastes delightful too.
2 tsp – corn oil
1/2 tsp – ground ginger
2 tsp – milk
1 1/2 tsp – silvered almonds
1/2 tsp – garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp – lime juice
1 1/2 tsp – mayonnaise
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (sliced into pieces)
2 cups – spinach with stems removed
4 fresh, juicy strawberries (sliced)
Some fresh black pepper (in grounded form)
1. Pour some oil in the skillet and heat it for a while.
2. Add chicken into it with garlic powder. Cook the chicken for at least 10 minutes on both sides.
3. Take a bowl and add lime juice, milk, ginger, and mayonnaise.
4. Place the spinach on a serving dish. Add the strawberries and chicken on top of it.
5. Drizzle the dish with dressing of your choice. Then sprinkle some almonds and black pepper to add the finishing touch.
2. Strawberry Macadamia Rice Pudding
Prepare a sensational spiced rice pudding with toasted macadamias and fresh strawberries.
1/2 cup – raw sugar
1 tbsp – raw sugar (extra)
1 tsp – paste of vanilla bean
3 tsp – cornflour (gluten-free)
4 cups – macadamia milk (unsweetened)
1/4 cup – chopped and toasted macadamias
1 cup – rice (medium-grain)
1 quill or cinnamon stick
375 grams of chopped strawberries
6 extra strawberries (halved)
1. Add macadamia milk, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar, and rice into a medium-sized saucepan. Heat the mixture till it starts to boil.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Or up until the rice has been cooked. Then remove the cinnamon.
3. Take another saucepan and place the extra sugar, 2 tbsp water, and chopped strawberries into it. Heat it until the blend simmers. Keep stirring till the strawberry pieces become soft.
4. Add 2 tsp water and cornflour into a bowl. Then pour this into the second saucepan with the strawberries.
5. Cook and stir the mixture till it starts to boil and becomes thick. Set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
6. Then place the strawberry and rice mixture in a serving glass. Let it cool in your fridge for at least 2 hours. Following which, top it off with toasted macadamias and the halved strawberry.
3. Balsamic Strawberry Shortcake
Satisfy your low-calorie food urges with this irresistible combination of strawberries and balsamic vinegar.
1 tbsp – white sugar
1/2 cup of whipped cream
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
2 cups of sliced strawberries
4 slices of food cake
Some black pepper (grounded)
1. Preheat your outdoor grill and apply some oil to the grate.
2. Take a bowl and add the strawberries, sugar, black pepper, and balsamic vinegar into it. Marinate the mix for at least 15 minutes.
3. Grill the food cake slices on your preheated grill. Wait for it to toast on both sides.
4. Place each slice on four different plates. Pour the marinated blend over the slices and top it off with some whipped cream.
4. Strawberry Trifle with Lemon Curd
Whip up the most delicious trifle for festive seasons using a combination of lemon curd and strawberries.
1 tbsp – lemon juice
2 tbsp – boiling water
1 1/2 cup – lemon curd
60 grams – caster sugar
200 grams – coarsely crushed amaretti biscuits
300ml – whipping cream
Zest of a single finely grated lemon
1 punnet of sliced, hulled strawberries
1 punnet of extra strawberries (for decoration)
Zest of a single finely shredded lemon
1. Stir a solution of sugar and water in a heatproof jug till all the sugar dissolves. Add some lemon rind as well as juice into it. Set it aside for a few minutes.
2. Then use a medium-sized bowl to place the sliced strawberries into it. Pour the syrup over them. Set it aside.
3. Whip some cream in your electric mixer for not more than 3 minutes. Transfer the whipped cream into another medium-sized bowl. Add some lemon curd to it.
4. Use half the amount of biscuits to fill 4 serving bowls or glasses. Then pour half of the strawberry and syrup mixture along with half of the whipped cream and lemon curd mixture.
5. Repeat the process to form another layer. Add some finishing touches with extra lemon and strawberries.
5. Strawberry Bread with Cream Cheese
This is the ultimate strawberry recipe for all heart-shaped fruit lovers!
2 tsp – baking soda
1/2 tsp – salt
1 tsp – vanilla extract
2 tsp – baking powder
1/2 cup – softened butter
1/2 cup – milk
2 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
2 whole eggs
3 ounces of softened cream cheese
1/2 cup – chopped strawberries
1/2 cup – chopped pecans (this is optional)
1. Use your electric mixer to create a fluffy paste of cream cheese, butter, and sugar. Then throw in the eggs and vanilla extract.
2. Take a bowl and add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour into it. Then blend both the butter mixture and flour mixture.
3. Drain the strawberries and fold them with nuts. Add them to the dough, which should now be thick.
4. Grease the loaf pan and place some flour into it. Bake the thick dough at 350 degrees for an hour. The bread takes about a day to mellow. Following which, it’s ready to be served.
6. Strawberry Muffins
There’s nothing better to please your munching urges than these heavenly, easy to prepare strawberry muffins.
1/2 tsp – salt
1 tsp – vanilla extract
2 tbsp – baking powder
1 cup of sugar
6 tsp – sugar (extra)
1 1/2 cup of chopped strawberries
2 whole eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1 1/2 cup of melted, unsalted butter
2 cups of flour
1. Heat your oven to at least 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Combine baking powder, flour, salt, and the single cup of sugar. You can do this in a medium-sized bowl. Add the strawberries into it and set it aside.
3. Beat together vanilla extract, milk, butter, and eggs in another bowl. Then mix both the dry and wet ingredients.
4. Place the prepared dough into your muffin tins. But before you do that, line them with paper.
5. Sprinkle the extra sugar on top. Bake the muffins for as long as 25 minutes.
6. You can check if the dish is prepared or not by sticking a toothpick into the muffin. If the toothpick doesn’t have any dough stuck to it, then the dish is ready to go!
7. Strawberry Avocado Salad with Chicken Salsa
Serve a colorful, flavor-packed dish. Try our recipe of juicy strawberries and avocado with tangy chicken salsa.
2 tbsp – jalapeno pepper (minced and seeded)
1 tbsp – olive oil
2 tbsp – fresh, chopped cilantro
2 tsp – lime juice
3/4 tsp – divided kosher salt
1/4 tsp – black pepper (grounded)
4 pieces of lime wedges
1 1/2 cup – chopped strawberries
1/2 cup – ripe avocado (diced and peeled)
4 pieces of chicken breasts
1. Take a small-sized bowl to mix avocado, lime juice, strawberries, 1/4 tsp of salt, and cilantro. Toss the ingredients properly.
2. Add some oil to a large-sized skillet. Place the chicken breasts into it with the remaining salt as well as pepper. Cook the chicken for at least 3 minutes or until it’s done.
3. Place each chicken breast piece on four different plates. Add the tangy and sweet salsa mix on top of each serving.
4. Garnish the plates with lime wedges and the dish is ready to be eaten!
8. Strawberry Tiramisu White Chocolate Cake
Do you love strawberries? And do you love white chocolate as well? If both the answers are yes, then this delightful recipe is the one for you.
2 cups of whipped cream
2/3 cups of orange juice
1 cup of confectioners’ sugar
4 cups of fresh, sliced strawberries
1/2 cup of mascarpone cheese
1 tsp – vanilla extract
2 packets of ladyfingers (split)
9 ounces of melted, cooled white chocolate
1 packet of softened cream cheese
Chocolate syrup (this is optional)
1. Take a large-sized bowl and beat cream cheese in it. Do it until you see the formation of soft peaks.
2. Use another bowl to beat the mascarpone cheese until it becomes fluffy and light. Add the cooled white chocolate, vanilla extract, and half cup of confectioners’ sugar into it. Top it off with whipped cream.
3. Then mix half the amount of ladyfingers with half the quantity of orange juice. Arrange this in a dish. Spread at least 2 cups of the cream cheese blend on top of it. Then add half the amount of strawberries over that.
4. Arrange the other half of the ladyfingers brushed with the other half of orange juice on top of the first layer.
5. Stir the leftover sugar into the remaining cream cheese paste. And add the unused whipped cream into this.
6. Spread the mixture over the ladyfingers. Add the remaining strawberries over the second layer.
7. Refrigerate this until it’s ready to be served. You can add a fine finishing touch by drizzling the cake with some chocolate syrup at the time of serving.
The Final Note
Strawberries offer various types of health benefits. We know that now, don’t we? The fruit provides more than just flavor and sweetness. It is packed with all kinds of minerals and nutrients beneficial for the body.
These are Vitamins C, K, and A, folic acid, dietary fiber, etc. Such elements are also free from sodium and cholesterol. With powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, strawberries help in preventing and reducing many serious medical conditions.
So I hope that now you know how to incorporate this juicy, heart-shaped berry into your diet. There is more than one way of doing so. Because strawberry is a fruit that can be included in salads and desserts quite easily. Just make it a point to consume organic, high-quality strawberries.