The Sonax Xtreme 206141 is our pick for the best upholstery cleaner, which works best for Alcantara car seats and contains a generous amount of 8 fluid ounces. It gives a soft feel and is okay for most interior furniture.
Our step-up pick is the Chemical Guys SPI-103-16 and it contains 16 fluid ounces each bottle. It is easy to spray on and works well for leather products. It adds protection and brings vigor to your old leather.
The budget pick is the Turtle Wax T-246R1 and it can also eliminate odor while cleaning up food spills like coffee, grease, mud, food and the like. It adds protection using its silicone shield.
- 1 A Little Background
- 2 How we Picked
- 3 Our Pick
- 4 Flaws but Not Dealbrakers
- 5 Step-up Pick
- 6 Budget Pick
- 7 Best Upholstery Cleaner for Leather
- 8 Best Upholstery Cleaner for Fabric
- 9 Best Upholstery Cleaner for Spot Cleaning
- 10 Best Upholstery Cleaner for Disinfecting
- 11 Best Upholstery Cleaner with a Brush
- 12 Best Upholstery Cleaner for Outdoor Furniture
- 13 Best Upholstery Cleaner in Spray Form
- 14 The Competition
- 15 Other Frequently Asked Questions
- 16 Wrapping It Up
A Little Background
Upholstery technically means your couch, sofa, loveseat and basically anything in your living room or bedroom that's not rock hard solid like your table. They are one of the most important things that make up your home's first room.
They should be not just presentable but also comfortable to sit on for the guests. They have differences in styles and in materials but their main purpose is to serve the people who enter the house or rest. They are also used when watching TV or hanging around in the living room area or any guest room.
Upholstery is made of either fabric or leather, and can be referred to as "living room furniture". Fabric and leather types have their differences. Both of them are furniture materials that can both look aesthetically good if you take care of it properly.
Fabric ones can be dyed of any color and can have a striking and sometimes soft feel for your living room or area while those that have a leather outer cover go for a bolder and more rustic look.
Perhaps we are all aware that upholstery is one of the most difficult to upkeep when it comes down to maintenance. Maintenance has always been a tough problem with them. Leather is much harder to maintain than fabrics.
This difficulty is due to the fact that leather can be mistreated when exposed to water and harsh sun and may tend to crack. Fabrics may also have special care instructions, especially if they are a special type of fabric that may not be suitable for regular methods of washing and harsh detergents.
If you have leather upholstery, this can mean a problem because it is more prone to fading with sunlight, cracking with humidity and can also be frowned upon by vegans. Leather is a very sensitive item of manufacturing, hence it needs special care.
Leather needs special cleaners that will not damage the sensitive nature when you clean it up. In most occasions, leather can also be subject to special manufacturer cleaners instead of buying external cleaners, so make sure you know the type of cleaner to use with it so that you don't void the warranty and damage the item.
There are many different kinds of cleaning solutions out there. Cleaning solutions can vary depending on where you will use them. They can also differ in formulations so you should know which one is for which type of material. One material will respond differently to a different kind of solution. You should not use cleaning solutions that are not meant for that kind of material.
Other than cleaning solutions, powered items like vacuum cleaners can help speed up the job. You can combine your cleaning solution with power tools so you can clean stains more effectively. These power tools such as a vacuum cleaner can help you suck up dirt without much effort.
These cleaning solutions work well, especially on sensitive items that should not be soaked up in water and should only be dry cleaned to avoid being damaged with its material and protective elements.
How we Picked
For picking the best upholstery cleaner, you might want to choose with the following criteria in mind:
Safety of the formula on certain surfaces: you should know if it is okay to use on all upholstery fabrics, leather and maybe stuff like vinyl. The formula should not be too harsh on your upholstery item. The formula should be clearly stated as to the list of ingredients so that it will not be a threatening thing to your furniture's covers and potentially damage it.
Amount per bottle or container: Consider how much cleaner you need on a regular basis. You may need a gallon or more if your home experiences a lot of traffic in the living room where all your furniture are located. On the other hand, you can just settle for smaller bottles if the treatment area is only smaller, so that you can make more savings later on.
How much you can clean with it: Know how much area of your furniture you will be able to clean with it. For example, one bottle can clean an entire couch or sofa but others can only be enough for smaller stains and thus are not meant for general cleaning and are only for stain cleaning or spot cleaning. You should know the amount so that you will save more when you are not always using the cleaning material/formula.
Ease of usage or application: You should consider one that is easy to apply so that it will be very simple to use overall. For instance, some of these cleaning solutions do have a spray design, which makes them much easier to apply to your furniture.
Storage requirements: Make sure that you know where and how to store these cleaners. It is important that it should be easy to store so as not to cause fuss when you are cleaning your home items, especially with furniture and the like, so that their contents won’t easily leach into other household things, such as food and others.
Longer lasting clean: you might also have a formula that has UV protection to keep the fabrics or leather from fading away. UV protection as well as other clean coating can make your furniture potentially last much longer.
Free stuff: some of them might even have a free microfiber cleaner as a bonus. Freebies can be a great thing to have for a furniture cleaning product.
As our top pick, the Sonax Xtreme 206141 is safe for most interior furniture and can be a great miracle worker for Alcantara car seats that are dirty and needs cleaning. It is also great at cleaning other textiles and gives a vibrant finish to materials.
Flaws but Not Dealbrakers
The only non-deal-breaking con with the Sonax Xtreme 206141 is that it might dry like powder when you use too much, so only use a small amount when possible.
As our step-up pick, the Chemical Guys SPI-103-16 is easy to apply with its spraying mechanism and forms a protective layer for your leather furniture. It adds vigor to old seats and sofas and is made with lanolin based cream.
Our budget pick, the Turtle Wax T-246R1, contains 18 ounces of spray, which works on cars and at home. It makes cleaning a breeze and can also be used on boats and other places. It can also help neutralize odors.
Best Upholstery Cleaner for Leather
The Go Green Organic is a great choice for leather furniture because it helps condition its surface. It can clean and revitalize car seats, sofas and the like and is made with natural coconut for its formulation without harsh chemicals.
Best Upholstery Cleaner for Fabric
The Guardsman Stain Eliminator can be sprayed onto fabric for ease of cleaning spot stains like blood, wine, grease and food stains. You can use it for home and car furniture and it can also take out bad odors.
Best Upholstery Cleaner for Spot Cleaning
For spot cleaning, the Sprayway SW869 works well, especially on velour where it is safe. It can be easily applied without much effort and contains 18 ounces per bottle. It is a foaming formula that also works on rugs.
Best Upholstery Cleaner for Disinfecting
Bearing a lemon scent, the CleanWell Botanical contains 26 fluid ounces and can be used for various purposes as a spray cleaner that takes away bad odors and works well for nonporous surfaces. It can kill up to 99.9 percent of germs.
Best Upholstery Cleaner with a Brush
The Woolite 8352 has a brush applicator and is a foam cleaner to help remove stains on upholstered furniture and carpets using its Stain Lift technology. It gives a fresh feeling to your furniture without the bad odors.
Best Upholstery Cleaner for Outdoor Furniture
The 303 30440 is ideal for your patio furniture and can help repel dirt while maintaining a protective layer to keep your items from fading from the UV rays of the sun. It is safe to use on most materials like leather and can prevent cracking.
Best Upholstery Cleaner in Spray Form
The Pledge Extra Moisturizing is an easy to spray formula that works on most furniture and can also reduce the allergen amount in the air. It can also easily trap dirt and can be a great companion for those homes with pets.
While others were promising, they were found to be too harsh on most common upholstery products and fabrics as well as in leather so they were not in this list. Also, they did not disclose the chemicals that make them up so it can be hard to tell if they are really effective with cleaning stains or if they might damage your current upholstery product.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What exactly is upholstery?
A: It is a type of furniture that is upholstered or given a sheet of fabric or leather before it is used as a furniture in your home. They can be made either with leather or fabric and can have various styles and colors to choose from.
Maintenance is an important part of these furniture types so it is important to look for the appropriate cleaning product for them, which is what we should have if you want to maintain the appearance and the cleanliness of your furniture at home or wherever it is located.
Q: What are the different methods or ways to clean up the stains of these furniture?
A: The furniture fabric or leather can be cleaned with the use of the following tips:
1. Look for the cleaning code – this is highly important so that you will not mess around with the quality of the fabric or the leather. Most of these furniture do have a cleaning code or a cleaning tag in which you should know about before going for a kind of product to clean it with. In order to know what cleaning method you should go for, you should know the instructions to cleaning it, especially according to the manufacturer.
2. Vacuuming – this is an important aspect of cleaning the house and preserving the lifespan of your furniture. In order to have a cleaner home furniture or office furniture or even car furniture, you should vacuum depending on its usage and the traffic that you get wherever the furniture is located, as well as the pollution levels around it. Vacuuming is important to get not just the dirt out but also to keep the appearance of the furniture just right.
3. Steam cleaning – there are some furniture that can only be cleaned with the use of steam cleaning and not by wet cleaning. You should check for the manufacturer’s recommendations as to which types of furniture are recommended to have this kind of cleaning method, in order not to damage the outside and the inside of the upholstered furniture. It is important that you know how to do steam cleaning as well and to use the right equipment for it.
4. Use a cleaning solution – you can also use a homemade solution for your upholstered furniture so that it will not retain the stain and reduce the quality of its appearance. The solution can be made at home or you can buy one at the store if your homemade solution is not enough to clean up your stain. It is important that you use it right away when the stain happens so that it will be easier to clean up.
5. Repeat the process – if the stain is very persistent then you should repeat the process so that it will not easily get through the fabric or the leather. If you cannot remove the stain in just one wash then you can repeat the procedure over and over again until it is cleaned. However, there are some instances, where you should not repeatedly use products because they might ruin the quality of your fabric or leather item.
Q: What are the ways I can make my old upholstered furniture look like new again?
A: If you have old upholstered furniture and you want to make it like new again, here are the ways to tune it up and make it more attractive:
1. Mix a homemade cleaner with the use of vinegar and alcohol plus essential oils. This homemade recipe or solution is very helpful if you want to clean up your home items without messing up with the quality of the fabric or leather. Homemade cleaners are usually much eco-friendlier and tend to be the right thing to use if you are only cleaning smaller stains that can be worked over with vinegar solutions.
2. Pet hair can be removed with a squeegee and a vacuum. A squeegee can be bought at the store for a cheaper value while a vacuum can be available as well, ranging from small to large ones, depending on where you intend to use them. Most of them have an attachment called the upholstery tool that can allow you to easily remove pet hair and other debris that are stuck in the upholstered furniture to make it look clean.
3. Some upholstered furniture can be painted over. If your upholstered furniture looks old and worn out or if you think that the colors have faded, consider getting it done with a painting job. You can add patterns instead of a plain color, or use a darker color to mask away the upholstered furniture’s stains and other spots that have been preserved for a long time and cannot be easily cleaned. In this way, you improve the upholstered furniture’s appearance.
4. Baking soda can help reduce odors. You should do this by letting the baking soda sit onto the furniture for at least 20 to 30 minutes until you vacuum it off. Baking soda has a quality that lets it reduce odors so that your funky and old smelling upholstered furniture can become new again. It is important to do this cleaning method if you have pets around the house so that pet odors can go away from it.
5. Use special tools if you have a microfiber couch. These types of upholstery can be very hard to clean so you can try to consult the user’s manual for the upholstered furniture in order to clean it with special types of tools as per the recommendation of the manufacturer or the company. In this way, you will spend less fumbling and worrying as to whether the upholstered furniture is safe for the special cleaning method or tool.
6. You can use cornstarch or baby powder in order to take out grease stains. These grease stains are most likely caused by eating while on the couch watching TV. You can remedy this by using these items in order to clean up your upholstered furniture and to make it less gross looking when the guests have arrived. For stubborn ones that have lasted a long time, it is important to add more for your upholstered furniture when cleaning it.
7. Use waterproofing fabric seals for re-upholstering certain furniture. These seals can be bought in your local hardware store and are very useful if you are getting your upholstered furniture repaired manually. It is important that you do this so that the materials and other parts of your upholstered furniture will not easily deteriorate over the course of time, and for it to be more durable, especially if you will use it for dining areas.
8. Office chairs can be re-upholstered with new fabrics. If you have an old office upholstered furniture such as a chair, you can give it a nice makeover by adding a new fabric and replacing the old one. You can also refer to interior designs on the internet on how to properly re-upholster this kind of upholstered furniture so as not to make mistakes when doing so. This can add more presentation and cleanliness to your office or work area.
9. Use a seat cover in the car to preserve your car upholstery. It is important that your car upholstered furniture should be protected from food crumbs and other spillage so that you will have less time trying to clean it up with a lot of effort. The seat cover can be available in most car stores so that you can protect your upholstered furniture in your car or vehicle while your children eat and much their goods.
10. You can use club soda for scrubbing car seats. This works well if you often have problems when it comes down to stains and spillage in your car upholstered furniture. Club soda has many uses and this can be one of them, especially if you often use your car or vehicle for road trips and it gets dirty all the time due to the many passengers that ride on it. This method works well with most car upholstered furniture.
11. Carpet shampooers can be used for car upholstery as well as home furniture. They can be bought at your local hardware store as well as most car stores or automobile shops. It is important that you use them for your upholstered furniture so that it will not deteriorate your fabric or leather and so that it can last for a longer period of time. In addition, the carpet shampooer can be beneficial for cleaning stains and the like.
12. You can also look for a carpet stain remover in case it’s really bad. The carpet stain remover works not just for your carpet but may also work for your upholstered furniture, especially when it comes down to really stubborn stains that just doesn’t get removed with your homemade solution or with the brand that you bought at home. These stain removers can be bought from your local hardware store or even your home supplies store.
13. For second hand upholstered furniture, make sure they’re fully cleaned and deodorized. It is important that you clean your second hand upholstered furniture to make sure that they don’t get bacteria into your house. You can use strong cleaning materials and solutions in order to neutralize the odors and the bad bacteria that might leech sickness into your home. Removing the stains can be hard, but there are ways to work them over with other solutions.
14. If there are holes in your upholstered furniture, make sure you patch them up. This can prevent them from getting bigger and creating a larger problem later on. Patching is an important practice with any upholstered furniture, especially if it is a fabric type upholstered furniture. It is crucial that you patch it up quickly and with the right tools so that it does not become a hindrance when you use it much later on.
15. If you want to re-upholster your upholstered furniture, consider upholstery tacks to hold the fabric. These tacks can be available with most stores and hardware. Instead of relying on other tools and materials for sealing your upholstered furniture, you can use these tacks to ensure that the fabric will stay put and will not get ripped off that easily. They can be made of wood and some are also made out of other materials, but they should be durable.
Q: How do I make a homemade cleaning solution for my upholstered furniture?
A: In order to create your very own homemade solution, you will need the following:
Ingredient or Tool
Amount or type
Equal part with vinegar
Rubbing alcohol is an all around cleaning agent that can easily remove stuff such as ink, dirt and others. It can also disinfect by removing dirt and bacteria with its powerful solution.
Equal part with rubbing alcohol
White vinegar is a commonly used homemade solution because this ingredient allows you to clean up dirty messes due to its acidic nature and it also neutralizes bad odors.
4 to 8 drops
Essential oils can be great for adding a scent to your upholstered fabric, so that it will not smell like vinegar. This is an optional ingredient, but it can be helpful for adding a good smell to your home.
A glass spray bottle is much better than a plastic type because it is less likely to mix with your harsh acidic ingredients, especially if you mix citrus oils or if your white vinegar is too strong. However, plastic ones will be sufficient for most instances.
Sponge or towel
It should be highly absorbent so that you can clean up any mess. You use this by scrubbing the part that you sprayed on, after you let it sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
This one will be used to dry up your upholstered furniture, so make sure it is highly absorbent in order to clear the furniture from dampness and foul odors.
Q: What defects can potentially happen to your upholstered fabric when you are not taking care of them properly or if they have been used for a long time?
A: There are many problems that can happen to your upholstered fabric over time and they are important to address right away, so as not to form a much bigger problem. Here are some of the most common types of problems for upholstered fabric:
How to Fix or Prevent
a. Production problems such as loose stitching.
b. Too much feeding or too little feeding for the yarn.
c. Knots and slubs that are formed.
d. Yarn carriers are not set properly, causing problems.
a. Yarn carrier should be checked properly before production.
b. Make sure the yarn feed rate is just right during production.
c. Put the right tension to the yarn when it is being produced.
a. The pH levels aren’t very good while in production.
b. Problems like entanglement while using the dye machine.
c. Leveling agents were not chosen carefully, thus, causing much bigger problems later on.
d. Base fabric is of substandard quality.
a. Check the stitching method before processing the fabric.
b. Ensure that the right dying agent is given for the right pH level of the fabric.
c. Manufacturers should use a backup power generator so that machines don’t have downtime.
a. Fabrics tend to be mixed together while in production.
b. Fabric stitching is not equally made.
c. Bundling is not done properly.
d. Cutting procedure has not been done properly.
e. Time and speed constraints in the production process.
a. Textile types should be sorted according to their numbering.
b. Cutting and bundling techniques should be refined.
c. Base materials should be well-organized.
a. Bobbin problems in the sewing machine.
b. Thread tension is not properly done.
a. The position of the thread and the tension should be checked.
b. Replace the bobbin when needed.
a. Dirt and debris from the factory or production area.
b. Other external factors and causes during production.
a. Machines should be cleaned regularly to avoid staining.
b. Fabric finishes should be wrapped and rolled for protection.
Q: What are the differences between leather and fabric upholstered furniture?
A: If you want to know which is better, leather or fabric, here’s a comparison chart of both material when it comes down to upholstered furniture:
Leather tends to be much more durable if taken care of properly. It is meant for those who want a longer lasting furniture material.
Fabric is less durable but can be easier to maintain. It is meant for those who want a simple and decent furniture material.
Ease of maintenance
Leather can be hard to maintain because it is sensitive to heat and also sensitive to water, therefore you should only use it with the appropriate cleaning products.
It can be easy to maintain but this varies depending on the fabric material that you have and the type of fabric that makes it up.
Leather is pretty much one color but you can choose from different shades. There’s also faux leather, which is an alternative if you want more colors to choose from.
Fabric has much more choices when it comes down to colors and designs, so they are much easier to decorate your home or office with.
They tend to be much more expensive than the fabric ones, hence only those in the middle to higher class can buy them.
They tend to be on the cheaper side of things, so they can be a good and budget friendly solution.
They are sourced from animal skin, so they can be hard to obtain.
They are sourced from plants as well as synthetic fabrics, so they can be easy to make.
They are not durable against pet scratches but they are good for those with pet allergies.
They are good for durability from scratches but they can retain pet hair as well so they are not good for those with pet allergies.
Leather can be biodegradable within 50 years when it is thrown out.
It depends on the type of fabric whether it is biodegradable or not, as most can be synthetically made.
Leather tends to be less breathable compared to fabric.
Fabric is the most ideal one for breathability and summer seasons.
They are not very good with vegans due to being made out of animals.
Some are synthetically made, which are not good with those who don’t like organic materials.
They are mostly used for car furniture as well as some other furniture at home.
They are mostly found at home and less likely in your car.
Q: What are the pros and cons of linen as a fabric material for upholstered furniture?
A: If you want to choose linen as a fabric material for your new sofa or couch, here are its pros and cons:
1. It is made out of the flax plant so it is eco-friendly.
2. Linen is known to be a durable fabric.
3. The thickness of linen overpowers that of cotton.
4. It has a smooth feel when you sit on or sleep on it.
5. It is easy to clean by either dry cleaning or regular washing.
6. It is cool to touch, especially during the summer.
1. It can get easily wrinkled compared to cotton.
2. It is not resistant to staining.
3. Too much sunlight and UV rays can potentially degrade its quality.
Q: What are the pros and cons of owning leather furniture?
A: Leather furniture can be expensive but they reap benefits when it comes to durability. Here are the pros and cons to owning leather furniture:
1. They tend to be the most durable of all upholstery products.
2. They are friendly for those with pet dander allergies.
3. They can look stylish for most homes.
1. Their upkeep is very costly alongside their high upfront price.
2. They tend to be less comfortable during hot days.
3. They are not scratch-proof if you have pets around.
4. They don’t have much colors to choose from compared to fabric items and faux leather.
Q: What are the differences between faux leather and real leather?
A: Most people are confused between faux leather and real leather, but here are their differences:
Depends on how it is manufactured
Can be durable for many years
Polyurethane, PVC or polyamide microfiber
Leather from animals
It is usually much easier to maintain
Can be hard to maintain
Has more choices for the color
Has less choices for the color
Q: What are the different types of natural and synthetic fabrics used for upholstered furniture?
A: If you go for upholstered furniture, you can have the following fabric types:
Type of Fabric
Can be great for breathability and cost and can be very soft and comfortable, but can also be prone to odor retention. It is good, however, on its UV resistance and is less likely to wrinkle.
Linen is one of the most popular types of upholstered fabric. While it gets wrinkled easily, it can be fade resistant and can be soft and smooth.
This one is great for those who live in cooler climates for added insulation as well as for durability. They can also be blended with synthetic fibers to add to the ease of cleaning process.
This is a more expensive type of material so it is not ideal for areas of the house with a lot of kids because of its difficulty of cleaning.
This is a combination of cotton and other types of materials so that it will be able to resist staining much easier than with regular cotton.
These are the best when it comes down to keeping the cloth fabric from shrinking and forming mold. It has a silk like feel but is not for heavy duty use.
They are great for adding strength to your upholstered furniture as they don’t wrinkle easily.
These work well like wool and are ideal for less fading as well as resistance to soiling and wrinkling.
While most rayon can wrinkle, they are ideal for durability. They are also known as “bamboo” material and they work similar to silk and cotton.
While not a popular choice with furniture, they are great for those that don’t want easily fading fabric. However, piling can be a problem with this kind of material.
For heavy duty usage, olefin is a great choice because it does not have much disadvantages whatsoever.
Q: What is the upholstery tool and what is it used for?
A: This is a kind of attachment that is commonly found on most vacuum cleaners for the purpose of easily cleaning up your upholstered furniture. Made with a fabric strip that is able to catch lint and other pet fur, they can be used for the following:
a. Sofas of any kind, size and material
b. Loveseats of any material and size
c. Mattresses that often experience high volume traffic
d. Cushions that get a lot of traffic as well
e. Chairs in your living or guest room, especially with pets
Q: How frequent should I clean up my upholstered furniture?
A: When it comes down to cleaning your upholstered furniture, you should clean it up at least every month by yourself, especially with high traffic, or every year if the material requires a cleaning professional. However, for spills that can cause stains, they should be cleaned right away.
Q: What are the different types of sofas?
A: A sofa is a kind of upholstery that is commonly found on most homes. There can be different types, such as the following:
a. Sectional sofa – this can be configured into corner sofas and can either be u-shaped or l-shaped.
b. Chesterfield – usually has a tufted or quilted style, and is seen in high-class home designs.
c. Convertible sofa – this one can be converted from sofa to mattress for easy sleeping, especially on homes with less space.
d. Futon – it is also similar to a convertible but has a different configuration and you don’t have to do a lot of setup for it to be converted into a sleeping area.
e. Loveseat – this is used by couples and can come in various styles like camelback and cabriole. They tend to be longer for two people to “make love” with each other – hence the name.
f. Cabriole – it has a continuous design and have an inward curve from the top to the bottom. They are great for fancy room designs.
g. Mid century modern – these one are great for minimalist rooms and are designed for comfort and style at the same time.
h. Camelback – these tend to be seen in fancy homes as well due to the high seat back design and the rustic wood finish for the legs.
i. Chaise lounge – they can be found in some hotels and are mostly done for relaxation. They have one arm on one side and can be set outdoors.
j. Recliner – these are the types that recline and are popular for those with back problems, so they can watch TV while in a reclining chair.
Q: How do I make my furniture pet-friendly?
A: To make your furniture much better and suited for pets, you can do the following:
1. If seats are removable then you can easily clean up messes that you pet made.
2. Having a nubby texture can make it easier to clean up as well.
3. Lint rollers should be nearby in case you need to clean up right away.
4. There are upholstery cleaning products you can use by spraying.
Q: Which is more ideal for car upholstery?
A: Car furniture can be a hard thing to decide for manufacturers, but here’s a guide to different materials:
1. Leather is the best when it comes down to durability but it can be hard to maintain.
2. Vinyl is one of the most popular ones but can also degrade with sunlight, but are easy to maintain.
3. Broadcloth is ideal for high temperatures and can resist fading.
4. Velour is ideal for adding plush and can also come in seat covers.
Q: What cleaning solution works best for car interiors?
A: For cleaning your car seats, the best cleaning solution can be dish soap and washing soda. You can also prepare hot water in case there are stubborn stains. It should be brushed gently on the upholstered chairs for your vehicle.
Q: When should I dry-clean and when to wet-clean?
A: That depends on your manufacturer’s instructions:
- Dry cleaning is ideal for sensitive items like leather and certain fabrics.
- Wet cleaning is okay for some fabrics but can leave a funky smell later on.
Q: Is it possible to re-upholster a chair yourself?
A: Yes, you can re-upholster a chair with the right tools and procedure:
1. Take out the fabric.
2. Fix the batting of the chair.
3. Create a new pattern from cloth.
4. Add the base fabric.
5. Create welting around the seat.
6. Put the sides, back and underside together.
Q: What makes a comfortable upholstered seat?
A: In terms of comfort, you should look for the following with an upholstered seat:
1. It should feel soft to sit on.
2. It should have the right width.
3. It should have a good depth.
4. The angle should be just fine.
Wrapping It Up
As a whole, the Sonax Xtreme 206141 is our pick for the best upholstery cleaner due to its significant amount, ease of application and versatile formula for most furniture types.